Wallpaper has been making strong head waves over the last couple of years. It is not uncommon to open any design magazine and find several feature homes with wallpaper. This is possible due to the move away from very modern, white homes to more texture and organic elements. Wallpaper is very durable and comes in array of many designs and colours to suit everyone’s tastes. It is great for playing with scale, colour, space, balance and texture. Just like paint it is always a good idea to get a sample and put it up in place to get a feel for the final finish
When picking wallpaper there are a couple of considerations to keep in mind. Here are some questions to help guide you.
– What space is the wallpaper to be featured in? Is it big or small? How tall are the ceilings? A whole wall, room or just a nook?
– What is the use of the space?
– What colours already exist in the room and what is the look and feel of the existing interior?
– What is the final effect that is to be achieved? Dramatic or calm?
– Is the pattern to be bold or subtle, geometric or floral?
– How much light is in the room? Both from natural and man-made sources?
– Is the edge of the wallpaper hand or machine cut? This effects how it is hung and the quantity
– Is it recommended to use a lining paper?
– Roll size, width and length?
– Size of pattern repeat?